Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Aspirational Kitchen - Part 1

Recently, I received the most amazing catalogue ever, full of restaurant-grade tools and appliances. I felt a rush of validation. Someone out there, someone who sells my name and shopping history to other companies, knows who I really am.

*silence*

Um. You know. An accomplished chef.

Only, my receiving this catalogue is a little bit like a child who has played Operation getting a surgical kit for Christmas.

Many of the objects are intimidating.

Like this:













"Alright, alright, I confess!"

Or this:












Others have brilliant marketing names. I present the VinoVault:

"Honey, Harold had too much wine again."

"What are we doing to do? Wait! Let's lock him in the VinoVault, and he'll be ready to drive in no time."

Okay, so it's not for cooling down winos, but for keeping your bottles of wine at just the right sipping temperature. Beautifully aspirational. But given that we rarely spend more than $5 for a bottle of wine (thank you, TJs), I'd rather buy 80 bottles of plonk than spend $400 on this.

2 comments:

Emma said...

1.) Amazon sells surgical kits?! Really???

2.) You should definitely get the chocolate mill. That thing is sweet.

3.) I bet that fancy catalog doesn't carry an EGG CUBER!!
http://www.notcot.com/archives/2006/10/egg_cuber.html

AllieNic said...

You are a Culinary NERD my dear friend...and I love it...no really...I love it...