Saturday, June 13, 2009

Beans, Arugula, and Bulgur


Whenever I talk or write about bulgur wheat, I have the irresistible urge to shout, "Don't be so bulgur!" Count yourself lucky that I didn't title the post that. I had to get it out of my system, that's all.

Mark Bittman's original recipe calls for cannellini beans. We love cannellini, but as I rooted around the cupboard, I discovered these black beans in need of some loving. We substituted these in with terrific results. Beans, bulgur, arugula, and rosemary made for an incredibly hearty, almost meaty main dish with terrific vegan credentials. This is a good one for when your veggie friends come round. And when you fancy a meat-free meal.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It does look good! Admittedly I don't fancy a meat-free meal very often but I'll bear it in mind (or I might add some mince meat to it :-)

AllieNic said...

Um...that looks delicious...I don't usually drool over bulger, but it looks so good I might have to try it!!