Friday, July 31, 2009

Semi-Poached White Fish

Summer is really here (trust me, it took it's tiiiiime in Boston)! Time for light, refreshing dinners.

I visited Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food for inspiration. I haven't made much from this volume because it's more about championing her philosophy of buying local, taking the time to cook and be together, and to savor the food, than it is a list of detailed recipes (although it is full of recipes).

But I needed some easy ideas, and out it came.

This is the easiest light summer dish. So little effort with quite a lot of elegance. Ms. Waters calls it shallow poaching, where instead of covering the fish fillets with water, one brings the water and wine or white wine vinegar halfway up the side of the fish and simmers it slowly. Then flip it and poach the other side until the fish is opaque and flakey.


Reduce the wine / water / butter / lemon / parsley concoction and pour over the fish and bed of freshly steamed local fresh vegetables. Bon appetit.

2 comments:

Emma said...

That looks delectable. Perhaps it's because I'm currently hungry, but I want to eat my screen right now....

Toujours Delish said...

Yay! One rarely hears that about a fish dish. It may be delish, but it's not always pretty, so thanks!