Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Pastry. Still a mystery.

Well. I decided to make pastry from scratch again. I mean, how difficult can it be? It's just butter, salt, flour, and water in the blitzer. Sooo easy! Except...


...ARGH! That is what comes out of the food processor. That pile of floury-buttery crumbs. Your butter is supposed to be cold, your water is supposed to be ice cold, all the better to coat specks of flour with butter, causing microscopic bubbles in the baking process which makes a pastry flaky...so maybe this pile of crumbs is par for the course.

But I still don't quite expect it. How is that ever supposed to come together?

The answer is by sheer force of will. And when you know what I made with this pie, you'll understand why the will was there.

I made a pecan bourbon pie. Yes, fall is here.

I used a Rosie's recipe for pecan bourbon fudge pie, and when I put it to a vote whether we wanted chocolate in there, J voted for pecan and bourbon alone.

This sucker had 1/4 cup of bourbon in it. In retrospect, without the chocolate to balance it out, this is a little too much - this pie tastes of booze. Terrible, I know.

But with a tweak here and a taste there, I think pecan bourbon pie has the potential to make it in to the holiday classics folder. Crispy crunchy nutty deliciousness.

2 comments:

pea said...

(excuse me for interjecting here.) i dont know if you did this or not, but gathering the shaggy mass into a disc in plastic wrap and chilling for an hour or so allows the flour to absorb the liquids before rolling. that being said, from the picture it looks like it could have used a little more water. good luck next time!

Toujours Delish said...

Thank you! It's one of those things that hopefully gets much easier the more I do it.