Friday, October 30, 2009

Canneles - Take 2


Well. I know you've been waiting for a long time. Obviously there are life updates. For example, I can't wait to show you what I, a "food blogger", have agreed to have as a kitchen. My husband has likened our new kitchen to a submarine galley. Which makes me think I may have a new angle on my blog...how to cook sumptuously in a galley, perhaps?

But for now, let us return to a subject I have broached twice before. That pretty little idiosyncratic Lyonnaise treat [insert rude joke here], the canele.

Where you last left me, I had gone ahead and fermented my egg batter in the vegetable drawer of my fridge for a good two days. The batter tasted delicious going into the oven, but due to some crazy laws of physics and chemistry and the exact angle of the moon to the earth at the time of my baking, those little suckers popped right out of their silicone molds.

Which brings me to take 2. With the batter I made for [12?] caneles, there was enough to go for a second round (total: 16). The batter continued to sit for two more days in the fridge. I read Pascal Rigo's recipe for caneles, and saw that he left the oven on scorchingly hot the entire baking process, and he sells dozens of these things a day.

So this time, in all of my brilliance, I turned the oven to 500 degrees, and left the dial right there (don't touch that dial, as they used to tell me when I watched Saturday morning cartoons).

And this is what came out:


Looks promising, eh? There's still puffiness, but without the vertical sides from last time which indicated that they were being pushed out.

Let's take a closer look, shall we?


They look well-browned...this could be good...

Eh voila!



!!!!

They are beautiful! Caramelized! Well-formed!

Time for the fail-proof treatment:


Cream and fresh berries.

To be honest, add cream and blackberries to anything, and it's going to look quite nice. But these were real winners.

They were the platonic ideal of a canele homemade in an amateur's kitchen. Seriously. That outside has a wonderful slight resistance that then caves into the fluffy sweet eggy interior. If you're going to impulse purchase a piece of kitchen equipment, $20 for a silicone mold that leads to such an interesting and tasty result is not a bad way to go.



2 comments:

robochicken said...

Nom nom!

Kimberly said...

Currently trying to lose weight and now all I want to do is make everything on your blog. Good job, its brilliant