Monday, February 8, 2010

You Know You're a Grownup when...


Do you ever have those moments when you think, Wow, now I'm really a grownup? If you have kids or own your own house, these moments may happen all the time.

For me, the most recent reminder was a fungus. The fact that I want to wax lyrical about a mushroom makes me feel ridiculously grown-up. Of an exceptional three-course meal out to celebrate ten years with J, the taste I keep coming back to is a white mushroom which I wish I knew the name of that tasted like the juiciest piece of happy meat in the world.

My second recent mushroom revelation was when I sat at my desk hungry for a non-sweet snack, and all I could find in our CSA bag was a small damp bag of mushrooms. "Some people eat these raw," I thought. They were shiitakes. They were earthy with a lingering aftertaste of garlic. I ate almost the entire bag.

Mushrooms have been cropping up on our home turf much more often now.

One of their most useful properties when cooking is that they release their liquor into the pot, perfect for creating a sauce. So with a tupperware full of leftover noodles with no sauce to go with them, I fried up this batch of shiitakes in olive oil, added a dash of cream, hot pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and parm, and served them up. A great quick lunch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

anytime tom's out of town i eat as many mushrooms as i can--love them. if i can eat tofu he can learn to eat mushrooms! i guess i'm just more grown up.

Julie Berry said...

I adore mushrooms. But I felt a lot more grown-up before having kids. Now I just feel old. Immature, but old. Sigh.