
I walked to the grocery store with the full intention of buying almond flour for Nigella's Damp Lemon and Almond Cake - a buttery eggy yellow cake with a base of almonds moistened with lemon juice and lemon zest. When I arrived at the grocery store and surveyed their flours - semolina, amaranth, and numerous others I would have no idea what to do with - it became clear that they had no almond flour to speak of.
But they did have coconut flour. It was so fluffy and white and appealing. I thought, I'm sure I can replace the almond flour with coconut, and then, not being sure that coconut and lemon would be a perfect combination, I decided to replace the lemon juice and zest with coconut milk. And so we have a perfectly coconutty adaptation of one of Nigella's nicest tea cakes:
Coconut Coconut Cake.
1 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar (a little less actually - coconut seems a sweeter base than almond)
4 eggs
1/3 cup flour
1 1/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 can of coconut milk (half thick stuff, half watery)
8 inch springform pan
350 degree oven
Cream butter and sugar, then beat in the eggs, adding a bit of flour after each egg. When all flour, eggs, and butter have been incorporated, stir in the coconut, vanilla, and coconut juice. Pour into the pan, and bake on a baking sheet for about an hour (until the edges go brown - a gorgeous caramelized rust). Moisture will leak out of the springform, so be sure to have a baking sheet to capture this or else you'll make a big mess in the oven.
Enjoy.
2 comments:
I've found that when I eat baked goods where the baker substitutes coconut flour regular flour in a 1:1, they're a bit too dry...did you reduce the flour at all?
Also, you can make your own almond flour/meal by grinding blanched almonds in the food processor...or Trader Joe's has a good, not too expensive kind...
Heart you!
Hi lady! Actually, I was simply substituting the almond flour with coconut flour, so it worked perfectly. I left the wheat flour quantity the same. What I would say it to reduce the sugar quantity, and if the cake at the end is not that sweet, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
The store didn't have almonds either, so I was happy to buy the gorgeous coconut! And now I have a winner of a cake, as I've made it twice with great reactions both times. Thanks for the tip!
♥ you too:)
Post a Comment