There's this restaurant close to work. Part unassuming, part over-priced, and all delicious. They make crispy pizzas topped with wild boar and fig, or squash and goat cheese, and a mean, unlean pressed Cubano which drips grease like a member of the T-Birds.
And happily for me, they also make breakfast. Not simply of the egg-and-cheese sandwich variety, but healthier fare like granola and steel-cut oats with banana and walnut.
I ordered the oats after a harrowing trip to the DMV. I meant to be healthy and good, but what I got was the oatmeal equivalent of a vanilla sundae - rich, creamy, with all of the right little ingredients to make it memorable. Possibly honey, definitely cinnamon, and a generous helping of heavy cream to round it out.
So, I made it at home. No heavy cream. No lightly-roasting of the walnuts. But filling, warm, delicious.
Also, on a health-kick note, steel-cut oats are better for you than rolled oats in that they haven't been as processed and had half of the goodness thrown away. This is why they take longer to cook and are more filling than regular oats. All that extra goodness.
*As an addendum, I just read yesterday that you could make this in your rice cooker. Well, I tried it. With milk. And as I was sitting in the living room waiting to hear the click, I thought, what if it doesn't work? Doesn't milk boil over? The answer is...kinda, and it made an unholy mess of the cooker. It was cooked, but it would be much better on the stovetop or cooked only with water in the cooker.
1 comment:
Do you guys have a slow cooker? We use it for steel cut oats more than anything else. Set it the night before and you're good to go! Yummm.
Post a Comment