Monday, May 18, 2009

Lazy Roast Potatoes


I have mixed feelings about potatoes. Actually, they're not that mixed. Any food that has to be coated in oil, butter, cheese, or cream to taste of anything makes me skeptical.

Which is not to say that I don't like how potatoes taste when they have, in fact, received the works. I love roast potatoes, something I think of as particularly English as I do not frequently come across them here. Potatoes roasted to a golden crisp outside, and silky smooth on the inside - a perfect accompaniment to roast lamb, Yorkshire puddings, and gravy.

There's just one problem. Well, quite a few problems. I can't stand the fiddle-faddle of roast potatoes the normal way, the peeling, the chopping, the pre-heating the oil in the oven while boiling the potatoes on the stovetop...and all for dubious results, because a truly-well roasted potato is something that has eluded me for many years.

Which is why I recently resorted to roast potatoes - the lazy (read: ingenious) way.
  1. Buy dinky potatoes with thin skins.
  2. Wash them, scrub them, and then chop them up into little triangles.
  3. Throw on a rimmed baking sheet with as much butter and oil as you want, salt them, and then add possibly garlic, parsley, and onions if you'd like.
  4. Roast until golden or blackened at the edges. They still take a little while, but as I can throw them in and leave them, I am much happier.

No comments: