Sunday, July 19, 2009

Pisco Sour


If there is one drink people tell you you have to try while in Peru, it's the Pisco sour. The thing is, it's one of those fancy fluffy drinks that looks like it may only be served to tourists and cannot be found in local holes in the wall which offer three-course lunch deals for the equivalent of $1.

As such, I would normally hesitate to order a frothy drink that was designed just for me because I am a visitor to the country.

Well, thank goodness I got over that quickly. A quick scan of ingredients told me I'd be a fool to pass it up.

Pisco. Okay. Come back to that one.
Freshly-squeezed lemon juice.
Sugar.
Egg whites.

Sign me up! I'm not being facetious. As a fastidious whipper of egg whites over the holiday season to create the frothy head of egg nog, I am familiar with the airy power egg white can add to a drink.

Aha. Thanks again Google. Pisco is a grape-based spirit, thankfully nothing like grappa!

If I can find Pisco, I will soon be making this at home. Perhaps it will supplant my favorite cocktail of all time, the Caipirinha. It is that good.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Brave of you to try something called Pisco!

Toujours Delish said...

I kept trying to pronounce it Peesco, too, but no, it is most certainly pronounced Piss-co.

Anonymous said...

I'm super intrigued--would give this a try without the egg. Betcha it's still tasty. The caipirinha sounds great too. Never tried it, being a boring vodka girl...although last weekend I threw frozen rasperries, lemon juice, sugar, and ice in the blender and added that to my vodka. Guess what--super awesome and summery.