Friday, January 30, 2009

The Joy of Avocados

I cannot get enough of avocados. I consider them the chocolate of the vegetable (oh! I mean fruit) world, not only because of the enjoyment I derive from both foods, but because their textures and flavors suggest each other. Apparently, I'm not the only one who sees a connection between chocolate and avocados, as I just found a recipe for a chocolate-avocado shake and avocado-chocolate truffles.

As I child, I disliked them immensely, but somewhere along the way, my taste buds changed, and I came to appreciate the subtlety of the flavor, and I adore the texture.

As previously documented, I enjoy them halved and pitted, filling the divot with lemon juice and olive oil and topping it off with a sprinkling of salt.

We now know that "green gold" is rife with health benefits.

I'm starting to witness some beauty benefits too.

I read an amusing anecdote a few months ago that dogs that live on avocado farms have bright and shiny coats. I am now finding that my hair, which is thin and used to break all the time even though I never ever styled it, now survives the most robust styling - blowdrying on hot followed by the flat iron - with nary a split end in sight. I'm starting to think it might be the four avocados I eat per week.

And they say that the fat in avocados contributes to elasticity of the skin.

Eating avocadoes as the fountain of youth? I'm all for it.

1 comment:

andrewt said...

One of my favorite foods is avocado smashed on toast (something hearty with whole grains) with sea salt sprinkled on top. If that is all that is for dinner then I'm happy!