
I hear time and time again that one of the most basic rules of cooking is to read a recipe all the way through before you do anything.
I was making a pub-grub recipe from a recent issue of Grazia, and did indeed read the recipe entirely, confirming that I had all the ingredients. That's all you need to think about, right? Whether you have everything? Not whether they make any sense together...
So off I went!!
I browned the pork in the skillet.

Fried up the onions and ham.

Added the apples, garlic, sage, and...

Lemon zest. As I was zesting the lemon over the stove, I thought, "Gosh, what a strange combination. But I haven't tried it before, so perhaps it is wonderful."
What I learned was this:
Lemon + Sage = yum
Apples + Pork = yum
Sage + Garlic = probably yum
Apples + Garlic = not so sure
Lemon Zest + Apples + Garlic + Sage = yuck

Oh well. Lesson learned. Above image is right before it went into the oven for 20 minutes to soften the apples and brown the pork. It was an attractive dish, and cooking the pork like that worked nicely, so it's worth trying again with a different iteration.
No comments:
Post a Comment