Friday, March 13, 2009

Are You a Cook or a Baker?

And what does it say about you?
I am reading The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister, which I found out about here, and the following words spoken by the restaurateur and cooking teacher protagonist, Lillian, got me thinking:

"Now, cooking is all about preference--add a bit more of this or that until you reach the taste you want. Baking, however, is different. You need to make sure you have certain combinations correct."

I think we could do away with all of these complicated personality tests, like the Myers-Briggs, and simply ask people whether they prefer to cook or to bake. The spontaneity of cooks versus the precision of bakers...or a combination thereof.

The fact that I like to cook and bake perfectly illustrates who I am.

I can be all over the place, disorganized, impetuous, with no idea what day it is or even what season it is. That is the side of me that puts everything but the kitchen sink into my chilis or curries - jalapenos, corn, peas, zucchini, raisins, peanuts, sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, pepper flakes, paprika, turkey, beef, black beans...

The side of me that likes all of the clocks to be perfectly synchronized, that knows the Sunday paper is late if it's after 7:30 in the morning, that knows if an unusual word has already been used in a novel and is irritated when it makes a second appearance, feels tremendous satisfaction leveling the flour with the edge of a knife, or whipping eggs into peaks, melting butter and chocolate together and letting it cool before adding it to the rest of the batter so that the hot chocolate doesn't accidentally cook the eggs.

I would say I'm 32.7% baker and the rest, cook.

How about you?

5 comments:

Emma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma said...

Well, I think I'm probably about 75% baker and only 25% cook. That might not be accurate, given the current state of both my room messiness and credit card late fees...... but given my affinity for list-making, rules, and, well, BAKING --- yeah, I'm probably around 75%.

My goal for THIS week is to cook dinner at least once. That seems like a pathetic goal, but it's all I can actually picture myself doing...

Toujours Delish said...

It's not a pathetic goal at all! And you must take notes. I want to hear (read?) all about it:)

Unknown said...

Gosh I must be almost completely baker - given that I must always have a recipe and any attempt at "cooking" has usually ended in disaster (and quite possibly the bin too).(Diana)

Yuliya said...

Mmm, I think I am more cook than baker, but it's close.